Oncology is a terrible diagnosis, many patients believe that it is fatal. Let’s understand what cancer is, why it occurs and how to deal with it.
Modern medicine cannot yet defeat cancer, but it helps to successfully fight it.
Causes of oncological diseases
There is no single cause of cancer; no doctor can name it. The main culprits for the emergence and development of this disease are considered to be poor ecology, poor-quality food, heredity, weak immunity, and age.
External factors increase the risk of developing the disease. A high standard of living does not negate the negative impact of medicines, climate, and polluted environment.
Cancer development begins when something breaks in a cell’s gene. It turns into a powerful and very viable “aggressor” that lives by its own rules and spreads to other cells. There are several factors that cause malfunctions in the body:
- smoking is a common bad habit leading to cancer of the lungs, larynx, and mouth
- human papillomavirus – when it is activated, cancer of the cervix, organs of the oral cavity may occur
- ultraviolet – overexposure to the sun can cause melanoma of the skin.
A separate group of factors is associated with the area of residence of a person and national customs:
- oral tumors are common in areas of Asia where tobacco is chewed
- gastric cancer leads in Japan due to the popularity of raw fish and other unheated foods
- in Africa, liver cancer and Kaposi’s sarcoma are leading due to the contamination of grains and other products with aflatoxins (fungi that produce toxins), the spread of HIV
- in developed countries with long life expectancy, prostate cancer is common in the elderly.
Prevention of oncology is, first of all, a healthy lifestyle and the rejection of bad habits.
Why is it necessary to conduct diagnostics of the body to detect oncology?
A malignant tumor grows non-stop. If it is not detected in time and treatment is not started, it eventually passes from the 1st stage to the 2nd, then to the 3rd and 4th, which is practically not treatable. Sometimes this process is so rapid that it may exclude some stages.
The earlier an oncological disease is detected, the greater the chances of successfully curing it.
Cancer is not a death sentence. Early diagnosed cancer is treatable. The problem is that in our country there is a lack of public awareness. Many patients are convinced of the incurability of this disease and the impotence of medicine. They prefer to turn to healers and healers, wasting precious time.
There are few useful articles about cancer on the Internet. Segments of the population that do not use a computer have nowhere to get up-to-date and reliable information. Most TV shows and newspaper articles cannot provide it.
Preventive medical examinations allow to identify the disease at an early stage. Each person should know what procedures and with what frequency must be carried out. Their list includes:
- annual fluorography
- once a year analysis for oncocytology (cancer cells of the cervix) for girls who are sexually active
- x-ray mammography twice a year for women over 40
- annual prostate-specific antigen test for men over 50
- if indicated, other tests: gastroscopy, colonoscopy, CT.
Methods of diagnosis and treatment are constantly being improved.
How is cancer treated?
Today, up to 500 oncological diseases are known to medicine. Their treatment is not an easy task. The most important thing is to make the correct diagnosis. The success of the treatment as a whole depends on this. The second is to start treatment as soon as possible, with this diagnosis, time works against the patient. Aggressor cells are very resourceful. To reduce their activity, the following treatment methods are used:
- surgical – consists in the complete removal of all cells of a malignant neoplasm
- radiation – exposure of the tumor to x-rays and gamma rays of radioactive elements
- chemotherapeutic – the use of drugs that “eat” the neoplasm
- hormonal – the effect of hormones on tumors that develop due to hormonal imbalance
- Immuno-oncology is a new and promising method based on the infusion of active agents that teach the body to fight a tumor. This direction is the future.
Immunology is a promising way to confront oncology
There are many ways to treat cancer. So far, doctors are only able to control the development of the disease, but not to defeat it. Cancer is able to adapt to new conditions. After the death of aggressor cells, their clones appear, insensitive to the treatment method used. This makes it impossible to develop a universal method for getting rid of them.
The worst thing is that some patients can be helped, but due to the lack of the necessary technical equipment, qualified specialists, and modern medicines, this is not possible. To receive the necessary treatment, there is health insurance , which provides for the possibility of treatment abroad.
Peculiarities of treatment of oncological diseases abroad under insurance
In Russia, there are few centers for the treatment of oncological diseases – this is a fact. They exist only in large cities. But every person has the right to decent modern medical care, and insurance for oncology treatment abroad provides such an opportunity. It allows you to get:
- confirmation (denial) of the diagnosis by foreign specialists (second opinion)
- selection of medical institutions that can help in solving the problem
- assistance in preparing travel documents
- reimbursement of transport and housing expenses for the patient and his companion
- quality medical care, including all necessary medicines
- a high level of psychological comfort, taking into account the specifics of this disease